The Arcane Dragonry

29th November 2016

TMNT

The excitement! Why am I excited? Because I’ve been waiting for two weeks to do this. As I showed you in the previous post, I found the perfect combination of air-dry clays that will allow for a shock-proof, non-shrinking, detail-grabbing surface. And so I bought some ridiculously overpriced (¬£6 for 50g of the stuff) two-part silicon to make a reptile-like scaly skin mould to use on it.

So I started by carving into a flat square of clay the pattern that I wanted to make a mould of and let it dry. Once cured, I sanded it with a high-grit sanding paper (very smooth), added some final touches and finally gave it a good rub with denatured alcohol. Once the alcohol was completely evaporated (very important, as it could stick to the silicon), I ointed the whole thing with a mix of Vaseline and mineral oil and proceeded to mix the silicon. It started to set VERY quickly, so I pressed it well against the piece and let it settle. It took less than five minutes to cure. I removed the silicon and cut the borders and bits that were stinking out… and voil√†! I got the mould.

Jpeg

Jpeg

Jpeg

Jpeg

Jpeg

Save

Save

An old steel dragon hailing from another plane. She's been living among humans for a while now, learning about them and using her artistic talent to make recreations of relevant draconic figures from her homeland. Her aim is to teach humans about her kin and learn about them in return.

Comments

Be the first to comment.

Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>