Tadaaaa! These are pictures of the final product under proper lighting. As you can see, I changed my mind about the orange facial spots and I re-painted them grey. I black washed the whole thing, applied highlights with a dry brush, and gave it a thin coat of protective oil-based varnish that won’t mess up the acrylic paint. Sorry for the blurriness of some of the pictures, but you get the idea! I hope you like the results, and as usual, feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts on it!
So we got eyes, teeth, horns and spikes. Time to put things together… starting with the jaws.
I made teeth in all sorts of different sizes and curvatures, so I had to choose which ones would go where. Then I calculated how large of an opening the mouth would have an then proceed to attach the teeth to the mouth parts with hot glue. While it was cooling, I cut a bunch of little strips of cotton fabric and then dipped them in glue and wrapped them around every single teeth. I cut two large pieces of cloth and I placed them in the inside of the mouth, barely touching the gums. I put the pieces to dry by the dehumidifier and began the work on the tongue. I cut some length of wire and attached long pieces of newspaper, thin in one end and thick on the other, in the shape of a long tongue. I bent the whole thing until it looked like a writhing tongue. The whole thing was then covered by tape, paper towel and glue. This particular paper towel has a bumpy texture which looks like taste buds, so it worked out great.
After a few hours, everything was dry and I began painting the pieces. I used dark red for the tongue, pale pink for the gums, and a mix of the two for the inside of the mouth. Apologies for the excessive saturation in the pictures, I’m in the process of obtaining a better camera device. And finally, I gave everything a layer of glossy varnish so it would have a bit of a wet look.